KWSP were approached by a professional speed skating team to conduct detailed simulation and performance analysis on the blades of their athletes
- Speed skating is a sport where loads are high and contacts patches are small.
- The client came to KWSP keen to explore opportunities to improve the performance of its blades.
- Detailed simulation, analysis and understanding of blade deflection.
- Identification of areas to improve blade control.
- KWSP used its 3D scanning technology to speed up the creation of a detailed CAD model of the skate blades.
- The blades’ performance was then simulated through multiple scenarios, including blade stiffness and flexure.
- Finite Element Analysis (FEA) was used to analyse the performance of the blade itself.
- Simulation allowed for low-cost testing of a large number of user scenarios.
- Recommendations of performance improvement areas were then made to the client for further investigation.
- This significantly reduced the amount of resources required in comparison to physical testing.