KWSP were approached to design an aerodynamic solution for the packaging and integration of electric gear change units.
- A rapid prototyping method was required to enable multiple design iterations.
- Component required the strength to withstand loads during windtunnel testing.
- Design needed to be aerodynamic.
- Electronics unit needed to be integrated but accessible.
- End product was to be manufactured in carbon fibre.
- The design was modelled by KWSP’s engineers and tested through FEA and CFD.
- A prototype component was 3D printed in ABS to be validate the design with the client team.
- A further prototype was then manufactured in Ultem to provide the strength required for wind-tunnel testing.
- Rapid sign-off of proof-of-concept.
- Rapid movement from design validation to wind-tunnel testing.
- Removal of tooling costs.